As the Peak Body for Local Government in Tasmania, the Local Government Association of Tasmania's (LGAT) advocacy works to protect the rights and interests of councils. As members of LGAT, Tasmanian councils work with us to advocate for changes that will improve the lives of our communities.
Through our strategic relationship with key stakeholders including State and Federal Governments, LGAT takes action on the issues that matters to Tasmanian councils through an ongoing cycle of engagement, including an Annual Conference where councils vote on significant policy issues they would like LGAT to act on. Through our advocacy and policy work LGAT:
- provides a voice for councils on state and federal issues
- raises the profile of issues important to councils and their communities
- advocates for solutions that help local communities and secure essential funding from state and federal governments
- shares information and experience about what works
- conducts timely research and provides advice to enable councils to make informed decisions
- educates the community about the role and importance of councils