Tasmanian Municipal Standards

The Tasmanian Municipal Standards (TMS) consist of three related documents that set standards for local government civil infrastructure and land development projects. The TMS, or components of it, are referenced by a planning permit or council policy as the development standards required for public infrastructure.

For questions about applying these documents to your project, please contact your council engineers in the first instance. Note that councils may make locally specific development requirements that vary with the Tasmanian Municipal Standards or specify the standards for submitted plans. Please refer to your council website and engineers for guidance.

TMS specifications and drawings

Tasmanian subdivision guidelines

These guidelines provide information on the minimum standards required by participating Tasmanian councils to design and construct roads and utilities as per the relevant statutory requirements (including the Drains Act 1954 and Local Government Act Highways 1982).

This document also outlines the process to be followed during the construction of civil works, audit inspections, practical completion of works, defects liability period and final take-over of the roads and civil works. 

These guidelines are for consultants, developers, construction contractors, and council professionals.

Tasmanian stormwater policy guidance and standards for development

The Tasmanian Stormwater Policy Guidance and Standards for Development assists councils in implementing their stormwater strategy and regulate stormwater impacts of development. It supports councils to consistently manage stormwater from development.

Other development standards, rules and requirements

Use these links to see the development requirements associated with infrastructure providers and authorities:

Superseded versions

A superseded version of development standards documents can be found here:

Contacts for questions and suggestions

Please contact your council for any questions regarding how these standards apply to your development and your council area.

To make suggestions or request changes to any standards, please write your suggestion, including any marked-up plans or supporting information, and email it to LGAT.