In 2008 the Commonwealth made available to all States and Territories, funding for rolling out electronic development assessment processes with the aim of improving development application and assessment processes.
Tasmania was successful in obtaining funding to implement electronic application and tracking systems in two councils, Hobart City and Northern Midlands councils.
The advantages of the eDA system that is now operating at Hobart and Northern Midlands are that it:
- allows general property enquiries for the whole municipality;
- identifies the relevant components of the planning scheme that relate to a specific use or development for a specific site;
- is a guided application process which ensures that applications lodged are more complete and acceptable to the Council;
- allows an incomplete application to be saved and be revisited on numerous occasions prior to lodgement;
- links to google maps for displaying geographical information and also provides the ability to link to a council's GIS system;
- provides the ability to track the progress of your application online;
- provides a fee calculator which indicates your likely DA fees based on scale and type of development and, in the case of Northern Midlands, pay your planning application fee on line at the time of lodgement;
- has a search capability, including the ability to search the planning scheme;
- allows the upload of documents as part of the application lodgement ;
- provides checklists to help ensure the completeness of your application;
- provides a summary of your completed application as well as email confirmation of lodgement;
- allows for a general search of applications by date, address, and application number;
- has reporting functionality that provides Council with another tool for management of planning applications within the Council; and
- will result in improved efficiencies in the assessment process
In order to access the electronic application system the following steps must be taken:
- Access the system via the council's website.
- Click on the 'e-planning' link.
- Choose the relevant function (e.g. Property enquiry, Pre Lodgement Enquiry, Application Tracking, Make an Application).
- Follow the steps outlined.
- If you have any difficulty, contact the council's planning department (Hobart and Northern Midlands only).
See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for further assistance.
Specific questions related to electronic applications or planning issues should be directed to the relevant council in the usual manner.